“I have been young, and now am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his children begging for bread. He is ever lending generously, and his children become a blessing” (Psalm 37:25-26, ESV).
Psalm 37 is one of my favorite Psalms because it has so many memorable sayings:
- “Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart” (vs. 4).
- “Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act” (vs. 5).
- “Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him” (vs. 7).
- “The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way” (vs 23).
- “I have been young and now am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsake or his children begging for bread” (vs 25).
But one of the most interesting sayings in this Psalm is the declaration in vs. 26 that a righteous person is always “lending generously.”
We all know you should be generous in your giving, but being generous in your lending takes being generous to a whole different level!