This psalm of David celebrates God’s perfection, compassion, forgiveness, and goodness. The structure of the psalm is an acrostic poem with one verse for each letter in the Hebrew alphabet.
The Psalm is intended to remind of us of the many praiseworthy attributes of God:
- He completely forgives us of all our sins (vs. 3, 12)
- He can heal us from any disease (vs. 3)
- He gives us eternal life (vs. 4)
- He treats us with goodness, not evil (vs. 5)
- He gives justice to those who have been mistreated (vs. 6)
- He is compassionate, merciful, and patient towards people (vs. 8)
- He does not remain angry with us for our disobedience (vs. 9)
- He does not punish us in proportion to our sins (vs. 10)
- His love for those who obey Him is immeasurable (vs. 8,11)
- He establishes a fatherly relationship with us (vs. 13)
- His kingdom is everlasting and extends over all His creation (vs. 17,19,22)
God is totally praiseworthy! So, let us praise Him, totally!
Let us offer through Jesus a continual sacrifice of praise to God, proclaiming our allegiance to his name. (Hebrews 13:15, NLT)